02 November 2023

PHOBIA?

A dictionary will tell you that a 'phobia' is an irrational fear. But it is now used as a universal phrase of dismissal. 'Ah, that's homophobic!' I'm not afraid of homosexuals. I find some of the displays distasteful (looking at you, Sisters of Divine Indulgence and suchlike), but other than a moral distaste I have no problem. I have a problem with wide open spaces. It's not fear, it's simply that they make me realize my cosmic insignificance. I don't like tight spaces. I've had building joists collapse on me and had to be dug out. Fear? Yes. Irrational? No. Now, accept (arguendo) that a quarter of the world's population belonged to a group whose stated purpose was to kill or to bring into submission the rest of the world, that they have access to nuclear weapons, and that dying in pursuit of their goals was a good thing. This would be something to be feared, am I right? Completely rational reaction?

No comments: