16 March 2015

My Apologies


I haven't posted in a while for reasons great and small. Allow mw then to bring up some of the stuff from my “To Be Posted” folder:

QOTD

It always embarasssed Samuel Vimes when civilians tried to speak to him in what they thought was “policeman.” If it came to that, he hated thinking of them as civilians. What was a policeman, if not a civilian with a uniform and a badge? But they tended to use that term these days as a way of describing people who were not policeman. It was a dangerous habit: once policemen stopped being civilians the only other thing they could be was soldiers.”

Sir Pterry Pratchett, Snuff

And the citizens become perforce the enemy.

Which I find I isolated on 27 Feb of this year. Now I find that Sir pTerry Pratchett has taken the hand of the one who speaks in ALL CAPS

Work With Me Here

Pope Francis is the first Pope from the New World, right? That leaves 3 continents that have never had a Pope from their people, to wit Antarctica, Australia, and North America. (Note the use of impartial alphabetical order.

Now notice the continents which have not yielded a Secretary General of the United Nations, North America, Australia, and Antarctica. (Note again the reversal of alphabetical order to maintain fairness.)

Notice a pattern, a commonality, here?

Let's just leave Antarctica out of the equation. There are (to the best of my knowledge) no native born citizens of that caloricly challenged continent. Still fewer of them are Catholic.

That leaves North America and Oz as the heretofore unrepresented land masses, and I really don’t see a Pommie Pope, lark though it would be. “Wine, beer, it's all same old. Drag in a few keggies and let's do something about them crackers, eh? Get some substance into our trans-substantiation, roit? And Marmite! Gotta have Marmite. Proof Along with beer that God loves us and has a sense of humour! Now we got that sorted, who's for a brew and a demo of crocodile rasslling!” I live in hope. Realio Trulio, I live in hope. (Mother's mother's mother's family. Hogans. Transported. I think.. They don't talk about it, on account of being dead for centuries.)

So, the next Pope will an Italian. 'Cause that's what happens. But the one after him will be either Mexican or Canadian, and my money is on the Canuk CSB. {Congregation of Saint Basil, or Basilian Order, a teaching order like the Jesuits (Society of Jesus) through whose kindly hands – ouch, ouch- I passed during high school}.

But the UN, on the other hand...

That's where the venom comes out. Ban Ki Moon doesn’t even know if he's from Burma or Myanmar. The Secretaries General of the United Nations have been without fail losers and failures. Read Dag Hammarskjold. Go on. I dare you. Fail in ALL CAPS, bad politician and worse philosopher. Started out FAIL and continued FAIL.

So, here we are. There are but 2 realistic candidates for Sec Gen of the UN, but the pope is an Argie. Ladies and Gentlemen, with great sadness but some limited hope for the future, I give you the next Secretary General of the United Nations, the last, greatest hope for humanity...........

Barack Hussein Obama. 

 
Just a minute here

Law Enforcement Officials are te “hard men standing to protect us” as posited by Blair. But they are also “the few” who can be trusted with lethal arms. And they are also so precious that their safety trumps the safety of the passer by.

I think I missed something.

 
Memory

So I can remember the 8 tiny reindeer: Dasher, Dancer. Donner and Blitzen. Comet and Cupid and Bonner and Vixen.
There are the Nine Walkers: Aragorn, Boromir, Gimli, Legolas, Gandolf, Pippin, Merry, Frodo and Sam.
Athos Porthos, and Aramis. (add D'Artagnon if you want) Musketeeers
Mannie Moe and Jack. Pep Boys
Larry Curly and Moe. (I stick my fingers in your eyes) (Shemp is non-canonical)
Sleepy, Sneezy, Grumpy, Dopey, Doc, Happy, and Bashfull.
Matthew Mark Luke and John
Peter, Susan, Eustace and.....

Drawing a blank on the Pevensies. And Eustace was a cousin anyway.

Been too long, I guess, since I read the Chronicles. Perhaps I'm no longer Narnia Qualified, being interested in nylons and those that wear them

Peter was the only one tempted in a carnal fashion. (WTF is “Turkish delight anyway? But that was Eustace )

Got Edmund, now, but still missing one.


No comments: