31 March 2012

Now this is loverly

Set up this post either immediately before or after this one about 45 minutes ago and it's still hanging up because I forgot to use the "embed" version. Silly me. I've been doing this for (mystic symbol) many moons (end mystic symbol). I remember VACUUM TUBES as a common resource. There used to be a tube checker device in the fromt of the damn GROCERY STORE for the love of God. You could work on your own TV!

You know the classic Heinlein quote?
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects
The man died in 1988, and wrote that bit well before then, in 1973, to be exact. "Program a computer"? Those were crazy words then, and remain so now. Can you do it in C? I never could - I was just an operator/admin in the late 70s/early 80s. I dabble in Linux/GNU and want some disposable Raspberries so my mistakes can be thrown overboard. Maybe have some fun with the kids setting up a Beowuf kinda thing.

But I have no intention of being an insect.

No comments: